As the summer season transitions into fall, this is the perfect dish! It's hearty, chalked full of veggies and a perfect go-to for a bit of comfort! And not to mention safe for many with food allergies. Feel free to remove the shrimp, if you are allergic!
4 TBSP butter or 1/4 cup oil
1 gluten-free sausage (gluten-free)
1/4 cup gluten-free all purpose flour
1 large onion (chopped)
1 red bell pepper (chopped)
1 green bell pepper (chopped)
3 celery stalks (chopped)
2 cloves garlic (smashed)
3 cups chicken broth (Pacific)
3 large tomatoes (quartered
2 cups thinly sliced okra fresh thyme
3 bay leaves
2 tsp Cajun spice (Louisiana)*
1/2 lb raw shrimp (remove if allergic)
Vegan option: 2 cups black beans (washed & drained)
2 cups chicken broth
2 cups milk (unsweetened coconut milk)
1 cup grits
1/4 cup nutritional yeast (optional)
salt & pepper to taste
Additional broth or milk
1. Heat large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook until browned on all sides. With a slotted spoon, transfer sausage onto plate.
2. Add oil (butter) to leftover grease (equaling about 1/4 a cup).
3. Whisk in flour. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly for 18-20 minutes, or until dark reddish-brown.
4. Stir in onion, bell peppers, celery stalks & garlic. Saute over medium heat until softened (about 6-8 minutes).
5. Stir in chicken broth, tomatoes, okra & spices.
6. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low (simmer), covered for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile: the grits!
1. In a large pot or sauce pan add the chicken broth and milk. Bring to a boil on high heat.
2. Once it is a rolling boil, whisk in grits until well combined.
3. Reduce heat to low and simmer covered for 20 minutes, stirring every 3 -4 minutes. * You may want to add more liquid in after about 10 minutes, depending on your consistency.
4. Stir in nutitrional yeast. Add salt and pepper to taste.
7. Back to the Gumbo: Add shrimp into gumbo. (you can do this at 25 minutes)
8. Once it has almost fully pinked, stir in sausage.
9. Remove bay leaves.
If vegan, stir in black beans at this time.
Serve gumbo over grits.
*Cajun Spice: If you can't find a GF cajun spice, combine the following spices: 1/2 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp coriander and 1/2 tsp paprika & 1/2 tsp salt